Wednesday 16 March 2022

I wish to be tethered to that sturdy anchor….

 

Two years have elapsed and we continue to be in the grip of a relentless virus that is appearing in endless avatars assuming names encompassing all the letters of the Greek alphabets. Its calamitous and catastrophic nature plague us with uncertainties in almost all facets of life. Even as our travails and tribulations continue unabated in the wake of this scourge, there are hordes of organized bodies and good Samaritans pitching in their all, serving as palliatives and panacea.

 

Yet, on a micro level, it is rather disturbing, disheartening and disillusioning to observe relationships getting tossed in turbulent whorls. This was an intense emotional outburst by a friend a couple of days back when I met her by chance as she was on a routine walk with her canine. “The likes of him are so loyal and affectionate unlike us human beings who have no satiety at any level,” she remarked. To an extent, I did concur with her, even as her statement and our subsequent conversation set me thinking.    

 

What penchant we mortals have, for compounding suffering occasioned by natural phenomena over which we have no control, by self-induced misery, the reins of which we hold! Are we so frail and frivolous of character that we eschew virtues and embrace vices to the extent that we show animosity towards those we’ve hitherto held close? Are we so fickle of mind, as to dump without compunctions those genial fellow beings with whom we have shared good moments and cherished them as near and dear to us? Relationships at several levels apparently are getting torn apart, for no good reason except for the huge ego, an utterly worthless baggage that we bear, only to buckle under.

 

As I ruminate over the spirit of mankind, I am apt to speak solely for myself. I may not be conversant with the scriptures, but as a seeker who yearns to understand the goal of life, it is my desperate desire to desist from destroying my own peace by holding grudges, spite or malice towards those who cause me hurt, pain and anguish. The earnest plea is to be healed, to be purged of all negatives I may be heir to.  Realizing in almost full measure the transient nature of life, I would consider myself blessed if I could live each day of my life as if it were my last, hence be goaded only by everything that is positive. Simply put, I wish to be tethered to that sturdy anchor alone that I call God or Supreme Force, fully aware that the realm to which I would have to ultimately cross over, could be imminent. For HE alone is Real and all else, an illusion that we delude ourselves to believe. How onerous it would be, to be saddled with needless trappings at this momentous occasion!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment